Adventures with Microsoft 365!

So since I started this site, I will attempt to begin to blog!

I have continued to use Microsoft 365 in the classroom, although as we are winding down the Inquiry unit from last term I’m not using it as much for Inquiry. It has been good to use as I quickly shared notes from our Inquiry interviews – this outlined steps the kids needed to take next in their Quest. Groups also planned sessions on a shared document – what tasks were to be completed and by whom. Some of the groups used One Note to brainstorm when they first began their Inquiries. Any documents which needed approval eg. letters, proposals to the principal were simply prepared on 365 and then shared with me. I edited them using mark up and comments. No e-mailing as attachments – a much smoother transition.

I’ve been using 365 more for writing and that has been fantastic. Last year I used e-mailing – kids would e-mail me their drafts, I would edit and revise with mark up and comments and then return them by e-mail or if I was at school I would save them straight back into their school drives. We had lots of problems with kids not saving the document once I sent it back. They would open it, make changes and then close. The document was then lost as the student couldn’t remember which netbook they used etc. etc. This year – except for one student who has difficulty following instructions – everyone saved their work immediately in 365 and we didn’t lose any documents, editing, or revising. It was much more seamless. Now as I am writing reports I can easily refer to that piece of writing.

Although all the kids have e-mail accounts we have begun to use the e-mail function within 365 as I usually have it open on my computer during the day. The calendar is also much more user friendly than Edmodo.

Wendy

3 thoughts on “Adventures with Microsoft 365!

1. It’s interesting to hear that you’ve found sharing in the cloud more powerful and less prone to missteps than the old way of emailing attachments and saving files locally. Have you noticed any significant improvements in student engagement or productivity since switching to 365?

2. You tell a wonderful story of successful technology integration in your classes Wendy and the effect it is having on student learning and student engagement. Have other staff at your school followed your lead in better integrating technology into their classes too?